Construction Permits and Inspections | Saint Paul, Minnesota – St. Paul Police Department

Construction Permits and Inspections | Saint Paul, Minnesota – St. Paul Police Department

Building Permits

A building permit is required for any of these changes on one- or two-family residences, condos or townhouses, or buildings for commercial, industrial, or institutional use:

  • Building a new structure
  • Adding an addition to existing structure
  • Remodeling or repairing a structure
  • Making structural changes to an existing structure
  • Interior demolition or demolishing a portion of a building

Building a fence: A permit or plan review is required for all new and replacement fences; find out more on our Fence Plan Review, Permit and Inspections page.

Property owners may apply for a general building permit, accompanied by a Homeowner’s Affidavit found on our Building Information & Applications page.

Typically, when you hire a licensed contractor, the contractor will apply for the permit and submit required plans

For all building permits, the permit holder is responsible for ensuring the work is done to code and the project is properly inspected by the City


Plans submitted along with the building permit application form and affidavit are required for projects that include the following types of work:

  • New structures
  • Additions to structure
  • All basement or attic finish projects
  • Remodels and repairs where the layout of the building is changing in any way: removal of existing or construction of new walls, moving of plumbing fixtures, changing the use of a room
  • Interior or exterior demolition
  • Any project that has any structural work
  • Either creating new or modification of any openings on exterior walls (windows, doors, etc)
  • Plans can be submitted via paper drop off or email. Electronic plan review via ProjectDox is not currently available for homeowners.
    • For paper plans, a minimum of two copies of plans is required
  • Homeowners cannot pull a building permit online at this time

Trades Permits

Separate permits are required for each discipline below. Homeowners can apply for trades permits in the following scenarios:

  • Single-family dwelling that the homeowner also homesteads
  • Side-by-side duplex or townhome: the homeowner may obtain the trades permit only for the unit they live in/occupy
  • Upper/Lower Duplex.  See individual trades pages:


Building Inspection